UK pushes India to end all curbs in occupied Kashmir
LONDON – The United Kingdom has asked India to lift all restrictions imposed in Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJ&K) and allow a team from its High Commission in Delhi to visit the occupied valley for a first-hand assessment of the situation.
The demand has been made by the UK Secretary of State for Justice Robert Buckland while replying to a debate on the “political situation in Kashmir” in the Westminster Hall.
The debate was tabled by Labour Party MP Sarah Owen.
Responding to the debate, the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office Minister, Nigel Adams said the situation in Kashmir remains an issue for India and Pakistan and it should be resolved according to the wishes of Kashmiri people.
Owen while lashing out at lockdown imposed by Indian government said that the restrictions have not been implemented for safety purposes but for strengthening its illegal occupation.
She lamented that Muslims are being restricted from going to hospitals while Kashmiri women and girls are being raped by occupant forces.
He said, “Kashmiris' freedom of speech online is suffocated to the point that any criticism against the Indian govt, risks terrorism charges”.
John Speller, another UK MP, said: "This is not a matter of left or right. This is a matter of right and wrong.
"We are not against India. It is a massive country...with limitless potential. But that does not mean we shouldn't hold the Indian govt to account for its abusive behaviour, esp in #Kashmir”.
John Speller MP rightly states that the removal of autonomy of Kashmir is specific to trying to change the demographics on the ground to change the result of any possible future referendum.
'Shopian operation' – Uproar after Indian army ... 12:19 AM | 12 Jan, 2021
NEW DELHI – An Indian army captain was charged with killing three Kashmiri civilians in a staged encounter in ...
- Punjab to launch crackdown on religious hate literature11:38 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Govt to issue Sukuk bonds against Islamabad’s Fatima Jinnah Park: ...10:52 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Sana Fakhar responds to social media backlash after bold pics with ...09:28 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Saudi Arabia, Morocco to receive ‘made in India’ Covid vaccine ...08:36 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Urdu Mushaira held against #CannoliOwners outside Islamabad café07:51 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Meera reveals the date of her wedding; who is she marrying?05:32 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021