Why Pakistan is running out of water
ISLAMABAD (Web Desk) - Pakistan will approach absolute water scarcity by 2025. At present it is a water-stressed country. Pakistan, it warns, touched the ‘water stress line’ in 1990 and crossed the ‘water scarcity line’ in 2005, says a new report of the Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources (PCRWR).
The report further warns that if this situation continues, the country will most likely face acute water shortages or a drought-like situation in the near future. To deal with the developing situation, there is a need to carry out research at various levels to find out the best possible solutions.
PCRWR is an apex body of the science and technology ministry responsible for carrying out research in water resources. It has recently called for the establishment of an endowment fund within the PCRWR to avoid its dependence on the annual Public Sector Development Programme.
According to sources, the council has no funds to ensure sustainable research and has sought Rs 50 million from the government. The fund also aims to focus on water scarcity in agriculture.
- IMF predicts recovery in Pakistan's economy during 202112:12 AM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 245,000 cases of coronavirus – 5,105 confirmed ...11:08 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- School of Tomorrow – The world’s premier schools & societies ...10:11 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- PM Imran intervenes as PIA suffers setbacks over license scandal09:53 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Punjab’s youngest MPA Sania Ashiq tests positive for coronavirus08:53 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Actress Naya Rivera presumed dead after disappearance on boat trip ...01:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Meghan Markle, Priyanka Chopra, Michelle Obama to speak at UN's ...11:55 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- I will not no longer do item songs in films: Sadaf Sabzwari11:45 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020