IEA says Qatar blockade causing ‘logistical headaches’ in Persian Gulf
According to latest reports, there have yet to be supply disruptions, but exporters of Qatar’s crude, condensate and liquefied natural gas have already faced some logistical troubles.
Earlier this month, seven Muslim countries, including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain broke off diplomatic relations with Qatar over alleged support of terrorist groups, a charge denied by Doha.
“Abu Dhabi swiftly enforced a ban on oil tankers linked to Qatar calling at ports in the UAE, which could lead to a backlog of cargos and increased shipping costs,” the report says.
“Buyers often co-load cargoes from elsewhere in the Gulf, typically sold as 500,000 barrel lots, onto larger tankers to reduce shipping costs,” the agency says.
The current political environment does not allow crude consumers to co-load crude from Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain with Qatari supplies.
Co-loading of Qatari grades to crude from Iran, Iraq, Kuwait and Oman, which are not part of the dispute, is also limited, IEA says.
In May, the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) crude production increased by 290,000 barrels per day 32.08 million barrels, the highest so far this year.
The boost was prompted by the restoration of oil output in Libya and Nigeria, which are exempt from the OPEC agreement to cap production to stabilize prices.
“Output from members bound by the production deal edged lower, which kept year-to-date compliance strong at 96 percent,” the agency notes.
According to IEA estimates, global supply also rose by 585,000 barrels per day in May to 96.69 million barrels.
- Imran Khan’s remarks about Maryam Nawaz widely condemned11:41 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Kashmir Premier League to invite Indian cricketer Virat Kohli to ...11:05 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Imran says PTI's core committee to decide final date for Islamabad ...10:30 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Raja Riaz appointed Opposition leader in National Assembly09:45 PM | 20 May, 2022
- PNS Badar: Pakistan Navy launches MILGEM-class ship09:12 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Watch - Hania Aamir ignores Iqra Aziz at 'Parde Mein Rehne Do' ...07:38 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Nora Fatehi and Kriti Sanon jump onto the ‘Pasoori’ bandwagon06:32 PM | 20 May, 2022
- TikToker Dolly's new dance video goes viral05:30 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022