Facebook turns down Pakistan request to link new accounts with phone numbers
Voice of America (VOA) reported on Saturday that Pakistan had made the request when Facebook Vice President Joel Kaplan met with Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan last week. The purpose of the request was to curb the usage of fake profiles to post blasphemous content and make it easy for authorities to trace users.
First ever death penalty for blasphemy on social ... 06:22 PM | 10 Jun, 2017
BAHWALPUR - An Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) on Saturday sentenced a man to death for sharing offensive content about ...
The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) also made a formal request to deal with the menace of fake profiles. However, in an e-mail to VOA, Facebook has confirmed that it has decided to not comply with the request to continue protecting its customers' rights.
The policy for creating new accounts would remain unchanged, Facebook added.
Mobile numbers are verified through biometric verification system in Pakistan. Currently, Facebook accounts are being opened through an email. Authorities believe the issue of fake accounts could be overcome if all existing accounts are verified with phone numbers.
Regarding the "important and constructive meeting," the Facebook official stated that the VP discussed Facebook's concerns regarding recent court decisions and clarified that the group follows a strictly legal process against the government's request for ban on any type of material.
Facebook was also asked to help Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) in the country by providing them with data that they asked for.
The US company, in response, said that it received around 1,000 requests in 2016 from Pakistan and about 70 per cent of them had been complied with. The Facebook administration reiterated that it will continue to support such requests.
- PM Imran to seek fresh vote of confidence from parliament11:40 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PSL 6 – Quetta Gladiators beat Multan Sultans by 22 runs11:05 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Here are complete unofficial results of Senate Election 202109:53 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PSL 6 – Peshawar Zalmi fined for slow over-rate in match against ...09:15 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PM Imran Khan’s vote for Senate polls was also rejected?09:04 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Nauheed Cyrusi recreates Piya Basanti as the famous track turns 2007:00 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Birthday girl Shraddha Kapoor shows her dance moves at beach party06:13 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Anurag Kashyap and Taapsee Pannu face raids over 'tax evasion'05:14 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021