Diamer-Bhasha Dam to generate low-cost environment friendly hydel power in Pakistan
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Imran Khan has said that Diamer-Bhasha Dam will generate low-cost environment friendly hydel power in the country.
Addressing a public gathering in Chilas on Wednesday after visiting the site of the dam, the premier said Diamer Bhasha Dam will be the third largest dam of the country. Khan added it was envisaged 40 years ago, but work on the project is being started today.
"We will neither have to import fuel for this project nor will it affect our climate," said the PM, adding that it will not add to the global warming problems of the country.
In 1990s, Imran Khan said, the decision was made to generate electricity through imported fuel, which caused current account deficit. He further said Pakistan has huge potential for hydel power, which needs to be tapped. He said the government will also launch other hydel power projects.
Khan hoped that Diamer-Bhasha Dam will change the fate of the people of Gilgit-Baltistan by creating employment opportunities for them. The tourism sector in the region will also get promoted with the implementation of the mega project.
Imran Khan said the PTI government is focused to uplift the living standard of the downtrodden. He said the government has enhanced budget of Gilgit-Baltistan with an aim to provide maximum facilities to the people of the region.
Earlier, the Prime Minister was briefed on Diamer Bhasha Dam project. Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa and DG ISI Lt. General Faiz Hameed were also present on the occasion.
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 27 February 202108:00 AM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Peshawar Zalmi defeat Quetta Gladiators by 3 wickets11:55 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- Kashif Zameer accused of kidnapping, torturing social media activist ...10:27 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- Kite-flyer downs police drone monitoring Basant ban in Rawalpindi ...08:56 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- Ramiz Raja’s YouTube channel compromised for unknown reasons08:01 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- Quetta Gladiators' Chris Gayle takes on Shalwar Challenge in Pakistan05:16 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- Lady Gaga offers $500,000 for her stolen French dogs04:29 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- Atif Aslam releases teaser for his upcoming song Raat02:55 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021