Diamer-Bhasha Dam to generate low-cost environment friendly hydel power in Pakistan
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Imran Khan has said that Diamer-Bhasha Dam will generate low-cost environment friendly hydel power in the country.
Addressing a public gathering in Chilas on Wednesday after visiting the site of the dam, the premier said Diamer Bhasha Dam will be the third largest dam of the country. Khan added it was envisaged 40 years ago, but work on the project is being started today.
"We will neither have to import fuel for this project nor will it affect our climate," said the PM, adding that it will not add to the global warming problems of the country.
In 1990s, Imran Khan said, the decision was made to generate electricity through imported fuel, which caused current account deficit. He further said Pakistan has huge potential for hydel power, which needs to be tapped. He said the government will also launch other hydel power projects.
Khan hoped that Diamer-Bhasha Dam will change the fate of the people of Gilgit-Baltistan by creating employment opportunities for them. The tourism sector in the region will also get promoted with the implementation of the mega project.
Imran Khan said the PTI government is focused to uplift the living standard of the downtrodden. He said the government has enhanced budget of Gilgit-Baltistan with an aim to provide maximum facilities to the people of the region.
Earlier, the Prime Minister was briefed on Diamer Bhasha Dam project. Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa and DG ISI Lt. General Faiz Hameed were also present on the occasion.
- Pakistan vs England, first Test: PCB announces squad for Old Trafford ...04:11 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- India sees over 50,000 virus cases for 6th straight day03:20 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan pays tribute to fallen heroes on Police Martyrs' Day02:52 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Netflix confirms season 5 of Money Heist02:21 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- #MeToo: Ayesha Omar opens up about sexual harassment with Rose McGowan01:30 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020