Judge rejects Harvey Weinstein's multimillion-dollar settlement with alleged victims
A federal judge has rejected an $46.8 million settlement of the Harvey Weinstein sexual misconduct cases, terming it as an “obnoxious” class action.
“The idea that Harvey Weinstein could get a defence fund ahead of the plaintiffs is obnoxious,” Mr Hellerstein said at a hearing.
Several victims in the Weinstein case have defended the proposed settlement on social media. Other women protested against it because according to them it would leave Weinstein’s alleged victims with typical awards of just $10,000 to $20,000, while setting aside $15.2m for defence costs.
The carefully drafted proposal, states that each woman would have been entitled to file a claim for up to $750,000. The attorneys representing alleged victims share that a sum of money doesn't compensate for the pain caused, suffering and legal costs many of the women have faced.
The former Hollywood producer was convicted earlier this year of third-degree rape and a criminal sex act. He is currently serving a 23-year sentence for his horrendous crimes. His lawyers plan to appeal the conviction. The 68-year-old is to face more charges in Los Angeles.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- Emirates announces first annual loss in 30 years11:59 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- AJK unveils Budget 2021-22 tomorrow11:30 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan allows AstraZeneca shots for expats under 4010:04 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Two injured as PTI, PML-N lawmakers toss copies of budget book at ...09:27 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan announces increase in petroleum prices09:15 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat wants the Muslim misrepresentation in movies to change05:10 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Lost Cause - Alizeh Shah is a Billie Eilish fan girl03:21 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021