World Food Day 2019: History, significance and theme
This day generates awareness globally for those who suffer from hunger and to ensure the need for food security and nutritious diets for all. The main focus of this day is that food is a basic and fundamental human right.
View this post on Instagram
Take Action! Make #worldfoodday your day Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) promotes worldwide awareness and action for those suffering from hunger. #Sabatrustofficial serves food to poor and needy daily. #zerohunger #worldsfoodday #sustainabledevelopementgoals #Sabadailylungar #Servinghumanitysince1965 #honringtheorphans #supportsaba
The theme of World Food Day 2019 is “Our Actions Are Our Future. Healthy Diets for A #ZeroHunger World". It focuses on tackling global hunger. Due to globalisation, urbanisation and income growth, our diets and eating habits are changed. Instead of seasonal, fibre rich food and plant-based food we are shifted to refined, starches, sugar, fats, salt, processed food, meat, etc.
According to FAO, 670 million adults and 120 million girls and boys of the age group 5 to 18 years are obese and 40 million children under 5 are overweight. Around 820 million people suffer from hunger.
The member countries of the Food and Agriculture Organisation established World Food Day in November 1979 at the organisations 20th General Conference and called for the observance of World Food Day on 16 October 1981.
Various events are organised on this day. At FAO, headquarter in Rome, Italy program on large scale is organised. It mainly focuses on the attention towards food supply. Some UN Organisations and universities organise symposia, conferences, workshops, presentations on topics like food production, distribution and security.
In some private companies and government organisations, there is a scheme in which salary is deducted from those employees who voluntarily want to donate for the food bank and the collected money may be utilised at the time of natural calamities, disasters, etc.
View this post on Instagram
This #WorldFoodDay, get your hands on your favourite bakery item. It's the best way you can celebrate your love for the affordable, fulfilling & yummy eatables. Can't deny, right? . . #AIBTM #BakingSkills #Bakery #Bake #Baker #cake #foodporn #foodphotography #foodie #bakers #learntobake #learnbakery
It is a specialised agency of the United Nations that works towards defeating hunger via international efforts. FAO aims to achieve food security for all and to make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active healthy lives. It has 194 member states and it works in over 130 countries in the whole world.
- IOK records another death due to Coronavirus12:02 PM | 29 Mar, 2020
- N Korea test fires two short-range ballistic missiles11:38 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Coronavirus infection cases reach 1,495 in Pakistan11:16 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- FM Qureshi says Global fight against Covid-19 requires multi-national ...10:52 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Punjab Govt decides to waive off taxes amounting to Rs 18 billion10:17 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Baby Doll singer Kanika Kapoor tested positive for coronavirus03:40 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Michael Jackson ‘predicted’ coronavirus-like pandemic: Ex ...03:28 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Maya Ali is distributing ration bags among needy over Coronavirus ...03:16 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Pakistani student gives birth to baby girl in Wuhan, China04:00 PM | 15 Mar, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019