This may be the most expensive road in Pakistan
A project by Sindh government for the development of the metropolis also included the reconstruction of Karachi's famous 'Tariq Road'. However, what mars the credibility of the PPP government are allegations that the road was refurbished at a staggering cost of Rs. 569.8 million, believed to be due to embezzlement.
An advertisement published by the ruling party demonstrates the completed Tariq Road after chief minister Murad Ali Shah allocated Rs. 10 billion for the city. He seems to ignore the fact that the repair turned out to cost tax payers Rs. 316 million per kilometer.
For reference, according to an estimate by National Highway Authority, it only takes Rs. 40 million per kilometer for any highway construction.
Even if the cost is escalated owing to justifications that the development in urban areas is a bit pricey than open space construction, like highways, the figure Rs. 569.8 million for a bit less than 2-kilometer stretch is too high as compared to Rs. 40 million per kilometer.
On the other hand, if we compare the cost for a three-lane dual carriageway built in Lahore almost from scratch the cost comes out to be Rs. 450 million per kilometer, including the construction of a storm water drain that has also been built alongside Tariq Road.
The above mentioned 4-kilometer link road from LOS Ferozepur Road to Multan Road was erected at a total price of Rs. 1.8 billion, including the cost of covering the drain as well as compensating the locals.
- Pakistani athlete Najma Parveen finishes last in Tokyo Olympics11:38 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat spotted rebuking Karachi traffic cop publicly in viral ...11:24 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- UK court tells Pakistan's NAB to pay billions to Broadsheet by Aug 1310:16 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Falak takes Sarah on shopping spree (VIDEO)09:00 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prince Charming - Mahira Khan's first look from upcoming webseries ...05:50 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sharmila Faruqui lashes out at Ayeza Khan’s controversial scene ...05:21 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021