Sonu Nigam in a fit against the morning azaan, angers fans all over
On his Twitter handle, he posted, "God bless everyone. I am not a Muslim and I have to be woken up by the Azaan in the morning. When will this forced religiousness end in India."
Obviously, this did not play well with the Twitterati and brought about a major backlash of differing spiritual and political agenda that even years after our independence validates our decades' long need for a separate homeland.
The Kal Ho Naa Ho vocalist was attacked barbarously.
A user commented: "I am a fan of yours but this was definitely a bullshit statement. You gotta respect other religions beliefs. It’s a democratic country."
@sonunigam I am a fan of urs but this was definitely a bullshit statement. U gotta respect other religions beliefs. It's a democratic country.
— Madhur Chandna (@macchandna) April 17, 2017
Another user preceded the veteran singer's tweet with an acute observation: "Am a Hindu but isn’t same “inconvinience” faced by Non Hindus too when we blare loudspeakers for Navratri n Ganesh processions?"
@sonunigam Am a Hindu but isn't same "inconvinience" faced by Non Hindus too when we blare loudspeakers for Navratri n Ganesh processions?
— Maya (@IamMayaSharma) April 17, 2017
Other remarks to his comment went as follows:
God bless everyone. I'm not a Muslim and I have to be woken up by the Azaan in the morning. When will this forced religiousness end in India
— Sonu Nigam (@sonunigam) April 16, 2017
@sonunigam We accept the sounds of Mandir ki ghantis & bhajans playing on full blast because all have a right to practice their religion how they want
— =) (@smiles61446) April 17, 2017
@sonunigam India is a secular country, u cant say such things. So many Muslims out there... should they not be called to prayer, cuz you get disturbed?
— Saniya Pathan (@saaniisweet) April 17, 2017
— #DestroyTheAadhaar (@Stupidosaur) April 17, 2017
One user aptly summed gave his own version of the conclusion to the entire matter: "Twitter is no forum to raise such sensitive issues. It appear Sonu Nigam is looking for publicity rather than solution."
@sonunigam Twitter is no forum to raise such sensitive issues. It appear Sonu Nigam is looking for publicity rather than solution.
— MANOJ (@mkbansal_62) April 17, 2017
- PM Imran, CJP Gulzar take notice of mob attack on Hindu temple in RYK06:29 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Looking to upgrade your device on a budget? TECNO’s Spark 7 series ...05:01 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- 'Nothing to worry about,' FM Qureshi on not getting a call from US ...04:52 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Alizeh Shah and Ali Rehman Khan to star in upcoming drama03:20 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Barbie debuts dolls in honour of real-life pandemic heroes02:50 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021