#DarkAndProud: Model Mushk Kaleem lashes out at brands for ‘Color Shaming'
As an “obsolete” form of discrimination, colorism is used as a weapon to make those with darker skin feel lesser than those with fairer skin.
All high-end brands are still obsessed with the concept of using fair models for their campaigns and model Mushk Kaleem is just as frazzled and exasperated as we are.
The budding starlet’s bold stance on being dusky is like a breath of fresh air. Taking to Instagram, the Mushk recently spoke of how she believes her complexion defines her. “No, I’m not a pearlescent white-skinned girl but I’m dusky and bronze,” she wrote. “To all the clients who book me for shoots and then expect me to douse myself in lighter makeup to make me look ‘acceptable for lawn’, I’d rather you not book me at all.”
Mushk added, “My skin colour defines me; it’s who I am. So if you feel like you need to whiten me up so that I match the ‘requirements of the brief or the shoot’ or ‘because Lahoris have issues with dark models for summer lawn’ or whatever, please don’t consider me for your shoots.”
Mushk has basically had enough and will no longer entertain brands that make her feel uncomfortable in her own skin. “In the past few weeks, I’ve had photographers and designers tell me that they’re only making my skin whiter because ‘the brand can’t afford to get hate comments on luxury collections’ and ‘we need a pretty feel for the shoot,'” she revealed. “Book me because I look good in my own skin. If you want to photoshop and edit my face till you wash out the dark of my skin, then find yourself a fairer model. I’m sure you’ll have no trouble. Thank you.”
Dark is beautiful and its high time our society moves on from this unhealthy and toxic obsession with having 'Gori Rangat'
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more updates!
- Pakistan joins Digital Cooperation Organisation as founding member11:58 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- COVID-19 — Pakistan bans in-flight meal service on domestic flights11:39 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Maryam Nawaz 'was given rat-contaminated food in Kot Lakhpat Jail'10:46 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- BISE Lahore announces Inter Part-2 Exam Result – Here's how to check10:26 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Urwa Hocane's father responds to 'separation' with Farhan Saeed07:25 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020