Christian businessman from India gifts mosque to Muslim workers in UAE
He will name the mosque as Mariam, Umm Eisa.
“They have to spend at least 20 dirhams to go to Fujairah city or another industrial area to attend the Juma prayer in a mosque. So, I thought it will make them happy if I build a mosque here next to their accommodation,” he said.
The mosque in the East Ville Real Estate complex in Al Hayl Industrial Area can accommodate 250 worshippers at a time, it said.
Facilities for another 700 to pray in the interlocked courtyard of the mosque, which will be shaded by the time it opens, have also been arranged, it said.
The construction began over a year ago. Now the mosque is all set to open with the full support of Awqaf in Fujairah.
“The Awqaf officials were surprised and happy when they got to know I am a Christian who wishes to build a mosque. They have offered me all the support and were ready to offer free electricity and water and other facilities,” Cheriyan said.
However, all that he has accepted from Awqaf are the carpet and sound system for the mosque.
“When word spread about my mosque, many other people also offered cash donations, construction materials like sand and paint. But I have politely refused all those offers as I would like to pay from my pocket for this mosque,” he said.
Cheriyan, an Orthodox Christian by birth, had previously built a church for his parish in Dibba and also keeps the doors of a multipurpose hall in the East Ville Complex for various other groups of Christian believers to pray.
“I have grown up seeing communities living together in utmost harmony. We celebrate all religions’ festivals and I don’t judge or treat people based on religion, caste, colour or nationality. The UAE is another example of communal harmony and tolerance,” he added.
- Pakistan starts booster covid vaccinations today amid omicron scare12:52 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Lawyers ‘manhandle’ judge who convicted DC, AC in Mandi Bahauddin11:51 AM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Prices keep soaring as inflation rockets to 21-month high in Pakistan11:28 AM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Twitter no longer allowing users to post photos of people without ...10:57 AM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Indian actress Ameesha Patel booked in cheque bounce case06:39 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Mahira Khan receives flak for glorifying emotionally abusive ...04:06 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Deepika Padukone stuns in a gorgeous saree by Pakistani designer04:58 PM | 30 Nov, 2021