UAE welcomes Ashraf Ghani after Taliban takeover of Afghanistan
DUBAI - Former Afghan president Ashraf Ghani, who fled his country after Taliban took control of its capital Kabul, has resurfaced in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Wednesday.
“The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation can confirm that the UAE has welcomed President Ashraf Ghani and his family into the country on humanitarian grounds,” the Arab country said in an official statement.
Ghani left Afghanistan on Sunday evening, with no clue about his whereabouts. As the Taliban entered the presidential palace, they declared that the war is over.
Ghani in his statement on social media said that he fled to avoid bloodshed in the country. “The Taliban have won with the judgment of their swords and guns, and are now responsible for the honor, property and self-preservation of their countrymen,” Ghani said.
Taliban fighters made sweeping advances in the country since US President Joe Biden announced to withdraw all US forces by the end of August.
Facebook shuts down Ashraf Ghani's account 02:04 PM | 18 Aug, 2021
After Facebook's ban on Taliban related content, the social networking site has shut down the account of former Afghan ...
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...07:37 AM | 26 Sep, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 26 September 202207:24 AM | 26 Sep, 2022
- PAKvENG: Pakistan beat England by 3 runs in 4th T20I11:02 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- 'Are we sick?' asks Ali Zafar in note on moral standards of society09:16 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Dananeer fangirls over Yami Gautum at Chicago South Asian Film ...06:40 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022