Mobile phone texting can help smokers quit smoking
According to a study published in the journal, PLOS Medicine showed among smokers who received a 12-week-long mobile phone-based intervention quitted smoking, 6.5 percent stopped smoking by the end of the study.
The researchers from the Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University in China said the intervention could have greater reach and higher feasibility than in-person treatments. It has great potential to improve population health and should be considered for large-scale use in China, according to the study.
They conducted a randomized controlled trial across China from August 2016 to May 2017, recruiting a total of 1,369 adult smokers. Participants were randomly assigned to a 12-week intervention consisting of either high-frequency or low-frequency messaging, or to a control group that received text messages unrelated to quitting.
The text messages were aimed at improving self-efficacy and behavioral capability for quitting, according to the study. Twelve weeks later, 6.5 percent of them turned continuous smoking abstinence in the high-frequency group while 6 percent quit smoking in the low-frequency group. 1.9 percent of them stopped smoking in the control group.
- Covid-19 infects 1,019, kills 34 in a day: NCOC08:23 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 14 June 202108:02 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Naftali Bennett brings Netanyahu's 12-year rule to an end, takes over ...01:29 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- ISPR releases first episode of military reality show ‘60 Hours to ...11:43 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Congress leader's pro-Kashmir remarks draw criticism from BJP09:06 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Hira Mani opens up about supporting Asim Azhar during recent ...05:40 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic leaves fans stunned with sizzling beach ...03:37 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Tiger Shroff’s mother Ayesha wishes Disha Patani on her birthday12:49 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021