Deadly days 'over': Rangers called in Punjab to help combat terrorism
Although the details regarding the nature and extent of support to be provided by the Rangers are yet to finalized, according to a statement released by the Punjab government, sources believe the paramilitary forces will provide assistance to law enforcement agencies in counter-terrorism operations in the province.
At least 15 people were killed and 85 others wounded when a Jamaat-ul-Ahrar bomber hit a protest of chemists and pharmaceuticals manufacturers on Lahore 's Mall Road last Monday. At least six police officials were killed in the blast.
This is the worst spell of violence since 2014, when Pakistan launched an operation to eliminate militant sanctuaries in its north-western tribal region.
On Friday evening, Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif claimed the provincial government had arrested a facilitator and eliminated the terrorist network involved in the suicide attack . Sharif had said the army and Rangers could be called in on a need-basis.
Law enforcement agencies have been carrying out search operations across the provincial capital and other major cities, rounding up suspected people and seizing unregistered weapons.
However, a visible action such as that of Rangers is still needed to counter militancy, once and for all.
Soon after an IS hit on Laal Shahbaz Qalandar shrine that left than 80 people dead and more than 300 injured, Pakistan reacted with raids across the country and by lashing out at Afghanistan which it accuses of tolerating militant sanctuaries.
Till now, the military has killed more than 100 militants in a security crackdown. Border crossings with Afghanistan have been closed and authorities have issued shoot-at-sight orders for those found trying to cross over.
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Balochistan doctors allowed to carry out private practice in ...05:23 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- LNG for Pakistan: Islamabad to host int'l conference on 31st05:01 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019