Oil holds onto gains as investors hope for OPEC action
A barrel of West Texas Intermediate for September delivery finished up 22 cents on the New York Mercantile Exchange to close at $49.11.
In London, North Sea Brent for October delivery fell 1 cent to settle at $50.88 a barrel.
Oil futures had tumbled during a bearish July as investors worried about a global supply glut, bloated inventories and weak demand.
But officials from Saudi Arabia and Russia this month have acted to reassure markets, suggesting that producing countries could agree to limit output in an effort to stabilise prices.
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries is due to meet in Algeria next month and officials have said an agreement on controlling production could emerge.
Andy Lipow of Lipow Oil Associates said Friday s trading represented a pause after the week's gains.
"The market is taking a breath after this week being supported by the talk of production freeze by members of the OPEC at the upcoming meeting in Algeria in September," Lipow told AFP.
"On the other hand, if they come to a freeze agreement they ll already have increased their production to near maximum levels, which means there really is not much of an impact on the supply side and it can further extend the oversupply situation."
- Biden picks two Kashmiri-American women for top positions at White ...10:13 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Another Gomal University professor dismissed over sexual harassment09:59 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- China to launch its first solar probe in 202209:42 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Ex-judge to head Pakistan probe into Broadsheet case09:21 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Celebs call out 'elite aunties' of Cannoli for demeaning their café ...08:45 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Bollywood remembers Sushant Singh Rajput on birth anniversary05:21 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Wedding festivities kick in for Bakhtawar-Mahmood as groom lands in ...04:36 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Netflix crosses 200 million subscribers06:39 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021