Japan's Abe to stay on as PM after re-election as party head
In Thursday’s leadership vote, Abe overpowered his sole competitor, Shigeru Ishiba, by securing 553, or about 70 percent of 807 votes.
Statistically, Abe took 80 percent of parliamentarian votes, while support from regional rank-and-file party members was at 55 percent - in line with the expected results.
The decisive victory warrants Abe to pursue his long-sought revision to Japan’s US-drafted pacifist constitution, though the hurdles might obstruct his way.
“It’s time to tackle a constitutional revision, now the fight is over” Abe said in a victory speech.
The elected leader said he’s determined to use his last term to pursue his policy goals to 'sum up' Japan’s postwar diplomacy for peace in Japan.
“Let’s work together to make a new Japan,” he said, trying to enlist the support of public.
Abe has been the prime minister of Japan since December 2012 and he has consolidated his position by enlisting the support of conservatives for bringing stability and continuity to economic and diplomatic policies.
If Abe completes third term, he would become Japan’s longest-serving leader in August 2021.
- PIA and HBL partner to bring exclusive discounts to their customers07:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Asim Saleem Bajwa resigns as CPEC Authority chairman07:26 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Pakistan revises SOPs for international inbound travellers amid spike ...07:02 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- 28 Pakistani prisoners repatriated from Saudi Arabia06:46 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat confirms playing Benazir Bhutto in upcoming biopic05:25 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Nora Fatehi stuns fans with alluring dance moves on ‘Disco ...05:04 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Mahira Khan jolts the internet with killer dance moves in saree ...04:09 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Kabul security team gets briefing on alleged abduction of Afghan ...11:34 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021