19 Iranian sailors killed in friendly fire during navy drills
TEHRAN – The Islamic Republic of Iran’s Navy confirmed on Monday that 19 sailors were killed and over a dozen injured after a missile hit a military vessel during friendly fire in western waters.
The incident happened when navy vessels were busy in the drill off the coasts of Jask and Chabahar southeast of Iran, reported Iranian media. A light logistic vessel, Konarak, was struck by the missile.
Weighing 447 tonnes and 47 metres (154 feet) long, the Hendijan-class vessel is equipped with four cruise missiles, according to state television.
Following the event, the naval rescue and relief teams immediately responded to the incident and evacuated the injured to the medical facilities for treatment besides recovering the bodies.
However, a team of experts is investigation the incident in depth.
- Imran Ghazali appointed as head of information ministry’s digital ...11:46 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Afghan President Ghani phones PM Imran, discusses peace talks, ...09:34 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Three arrested in Faisalabad for displaying weapons on social media ...08:19 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Punjab govt to celebrate Tiger Force Day on Aug 907:38 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Trump gives 45 days to Microsoft for acquiring TikTok07:21 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Nothing Like Everything: Ayyan Ali announces first-ever music album04:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Filmmakers around the world take to part in Iran’s Resistance Film ...10:27 AM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi, Naimal Khawar Khan blessed with a baby boy12:37 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020