19 Iranian sailors killed in friendly fire during navy drills
TEHRAN – The Islamic Republic of Iran’s Navy confirmed on Monday that 19 sailors were killed and over a dozen injured after a missile hit a military vessel during friendly fire in western waters.
The incident happened when navy vessels were busy in the drill off the coasts of Jask and Chabahar southeast of Iran, reported Iranian media. A light logistic vessel, Konarak, was struck by the missile.
Weighing 447 tonnes and 47 metres (154 feet) long, the Hendijan-class vessel is equipped with four cruise missiles, according to state television.
Following the event, the naval rescue and relief teams immediately responded to the incident and evacuated the injured to the medical facilities for treatment besides recovering the bodies.
However, a team of experts is investigation the incident in depth.
- Three-day sports festival kicks off in Khalti Frozan Lake today12:05 AM | 28 Jan, 2021
- PM Imran, singer Shehzad Roy share views on promotion of education12:00 AM | 28 Jan, 2021
- Shafqat Mehmood green-lights launch of Single National Curriculum ...11:38 PM | 27 Jan, 2021
- Woman declared dead in Pakistan comes back to life, gets up and walks ...11:19 PM | 27 Jan, 2021
- Lifebuoy Partners with PCB as Official Hygiene Partner for 202111:00 PM | 27 Jan, 2021
- Natasha Ali shares her wedding pictures with fans07:43 PM | 27 Jan, 2021
- Faysal Qureshi reacts to news of couple confessing to sexually ...07:32 PM | 27 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Muneeb Butt shares a heartwarming father-son moment03:57 PM | 27 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021