Apple takes down gambling applications under China's influence
The decision was made following pressure from the Chinese state-run broadcaster CCTV which took aim at the tech giant this month for hosting illegal and fake lottery ticket applications.
Apple - the third largest smartphone manufacturer - removed at least 4,000 apps tagged with the keyword ‘gambling’ on August 9 alone.
The grand total of deleted applications could be closer to 25,000, according to CCTV. The US company confirmed the action, saying it was doing nothing more than complying with regulations in the Chinese market.
'We have already removed many apps and developers for trying to distribute illegal gambling apps on our App Store, and we are vigilant in our efforts to find these and stop them from being on the Store,' stated the company.
- Quetta Gladiators unveil PSL 7 anthem featuring Ushna Shah, Shahid ...08:29 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan frees 20 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture08:22 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- PCB issues health and safety protocols for PSL 202207:44 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern cancels wedding due to Omicron surge07:03 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- WATCH: #PakistanNavy warship PNS #Tabuk visits #Bahrain06:20 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Asim Azhar wishes Merub Ali on her birthday04:19 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Mawra Hocane spills the beans on her wedding plans03:00 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Hina Altaf’s father passes away08:39 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021