At least 65 dead from heatstroke in Karachi as temperature hits 44C
According to Faisal Edhi, 114 bodies were brought to the Edhi Foundation's morgues in Karachi's Korangi and Sohrab Goth areas in the past three days, out of which at least 65 had died from heatstroke. Most of the citizens who died from heatstroke were residents of Landhi and Korangi, he added.
Highlighting the magnitude of the crisis caused by the severe heat, Faisal Edhi said that the morgue in Korangi receives around 10-11 bodies per day. However, since Saturday evening, the morgue had received 34 bodies, while the morgue in Sohrab Goth had received 30 bodies.
"People did not get medical help on time, which resulted in their death," he said.
He said major deaths occurred in Korangi where a large number of labourers work.
Meanwhile, medics at Jinnah Medical Center and Civil Hospital have denied receiving heatstroke patients.
Residents in Karachi were urged to seek shelter Monday as the temperature hit 44 degrees Celsius (111.2 Fahrenheit).
The Pakistan Meteorological Department warned the sweltering heat would continue throughout the week, forecasting daytime temperatures of between 40-43 degrees.
- Major university in Islamabad closed down after Covid-19 positive ...11:49 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- ‘Wedding celebrations’ — Video of Kashmala Tariq dancing to ...11:07 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Pakistan to propose March 15 declared as Int’l Day against ...09:26 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Punjab decides to raise wheat support price to Rs160008:46 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Turkish President Erdogan urges boycott of French products07:49 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Undefeated UFC fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov announces retirement after ...10:31 AM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Scarlett Johansson to star in 'Bride' for Apple, A2404:06 PM | 24 Oct, 2020
- IN PICS: Sana Javed, Umair Jaswal share unseen shots of their Nikkah03:08 PM | 24 Oct, 2020
- FIA arrests ‘RAW spy’ involved in target killings, bombings from ...04:14 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- PM Imran slams France's Macron for deliberately provoking Muslims02:46 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- 15 men gang-raped, filmed teenage sisters in Punjab02:16 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Karachi police chief tests positive for coronavirus01:21 PM | 25 Oct, 2020