IHC restores Islamabad mayor suspended by PTI govt
ISLAMABAD - The Islamabad High Court (IHC) Thursday reinstated Islamabad Mayor Sheikh Ansar Aziz days after he was removed by the government over corruption charges.
A bench headed by Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kiayani issued the ruling while hearing a petition filed by the mayor against his suspension.
Issuing a stay order after hearing arguments from both sides, the court has suspended the notification regarding suspension of Aziz for 90 days.
Sheikh Ansar Aziz had challenged his suspension by federal government in Islamabad High Court (IHC).
Aziz has argued that he was suspended in violation of law as the matter is already in the court.
The federal government on Sunday suspended Mayor Metropolitan Corporation of Islamabad (MCI) Sheikh Anser Aziz over corruption charges.
The interior ministry issued a notification after federal cabinet gave the approval to remove Mayor Islamabad Sheikh Anser Aziz from the post.
Mayor Sheikh Anser is accused of alleged misappropriation of funds by awarding a contract for inter-city bus service to a company of his choice.
It must be noted that Local Government Commission (LGC) Friday recommended suspending Mayor of Islamabad Sheikh Anser Aziz on account of miss use of powers.
An important meeting of the LGC was held here under the chairmanship of MNA Ali Nawaz Awan.
During the meeting, Chief Metropolitan Officer Syeda Shafaq presented a corruption reference of Rs40 million pertaining to intercity transport stops against the mayor.
After the commission members’ voting, chairman Ali Nawaz Awan recommended the suspension of the mayor to the interior ministry.
- Taliban capture key Afghan border crossing with Tajikistan12:28 AM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Islamabad and Karachi ranked among the least expensive cities for ...11:30 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- Indian variant of coronavirus spreading rapidly in Israel11:14 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- UK Minister for South Asia Lord Ahmad arrives in Pakistan10:39 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- TikToker who scammed Ertuğrul star gets bail09:42 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- WCLA revives the lost culture of Kotwal in old Lahore07:20 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- Mufti Abdul Qavi caught performing obscene acts in new leaked video06:58 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021