Chief Justice under fire for 'woman's skirt' remark
Addressing a recent event in Karachi, Nisar had said: “I was always told that a speech should be like a woman’s skirt. It should not be too long to not reveal anything and neither too short that it doesn’t cover the subject.” His remarks were a reference to a quote by former British prime minister Winston Churchill.
However, a video of Nisar’s speech soon went viral, and the judge came under heavy fire on social media.
“It’s utterly shameful for a Chief Justice to be using such language and referring to women and their clothing in such a manner,” the Twitter handle of Women Democratic Front, a Leftist political collective, posted.
Members of the judicial profession also criticised Nisar.
Women Lawyers Association (WLA) released a statement on Monday condemning the statement: “It is disappointing to hear the highest judicial authority in our country using women’s bodies to illustrate a point about public speaking in this manner. It is especially a setback for women lawyers who practice in a male-dominated profession, as it is such statements that cause alienation and marginalization of women in the legal field.”
- Live Open Market Foreign Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - ...08:47 AM | 27 Jan, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 27 January 202108:42 AM | 27 Jan, 2021
- Bakhtawar gets a special wedding gift from Asif Zardari10:38 PM | 26 Jan, 2021
- Developer bringing Paris to Pakistan with replica of French city ...10:04 PM | 26 Jan, 2021
- Asia Argento accuses Fast & Furious director of sexual assault09:32 PM | 26 Jan, 2021
- Danyal Zafar set to make his TV debut08:51 PM | 26 Jan, 2021
- Shraddha Kapoor to marry a celebrity photographer?09:12 PM | 26 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021