India to overtake China, become world's most populous country by 2024: UN report
The World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision, published by the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, said that currently China with 1.41 billion inhabitants and India with 1.34 billion remain the two most populous countries, comprising 19 and 18% of the total global population respectively.
“In roughly seven years, or around 2024, the population of India is expected to surpass that of China,” the report said.
According to the new estimates, India and China are expected to have roughly a population of 1.44 billion each. After that, India's population is projected to continue growing for several decades to around 1.5 billion in 2030 and approaching 1.66 billion in 2050, while the population of China is projected to remain stable until the 2030s, after which it may begin a slow decline.
- Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf and Rizwan rise in ICC T20 rankings06:05 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Daraz spends up to $50,000 every month in customer refunds05:44 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran directs to stop TLP’s planned long march05:38 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Celebrities ecstatic after Pakistan’s victory against New Zealand ...04:36 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Katrina Kaif and Vicky Kaushal spark marriage rumours01:38 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021