Indian police drop sedition charges against 15 Muslim men held for cheering Pakistan
The men were arrested after the police received a complaint that some people were raising pro-Pakistan slogans and bursting crackers after Pakistan’s win in the final match against India on June 18.
The 15 men, most of them youngsters, have now been charged with Section 153 A of the IPC for disturbing communal harmony. “It’s difficult to prove the sedition charge. Moreover, none of them has a criminal background. After initial investigation we found Section 153-A is more appropriate instead of Section 124-A,’’ Burhanpur SP RR Parihar told The Indian Express.
However, the police said the conspiracy charge (120 B of IPC) will remain.
Earlier, there were reports that Indian Muslims celebrated Pakistan’s victory over their own country with defiant pro-Pakistan chants and firecrackers.
A day after the occupied valley of Kashmir echoed with pro-Pakistan chants, the predominantly Muslim localities in other parts of the India also cheered the Pakistani team, infuriating right-wing supporters of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Justice Isa taken to hospital after health deteriorates due to Covid ...08:41 PM | 31 Jul, 2021
- Pakistan to move ICC against Indian cricket board over threats to ...08:00 PM | 31 Jul, 2021
- Pakistan mulls vaccinating youngsters aged 12-18 against Covid-1907:58 PM | 31 Jul, 2021
- Lahore cop arrested for obscene act at woman during raid (VIDEO)07:22 PM | 31 Jul, 2021
- Birthday wishes pour in as Kiara Advani turns 2902:54 PM | 31 Jul, 2021
- Ertugrul actresses Esra Bilgic, Gulsim Ali sad over Turkey forest ...11:55 PM | 30 Jul, 2021
- Yumna Zaidi shares adorable photos of her 32nd birthday09:31 PM | 30 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021