Tanzanian minister sacked for being drunk on the job
Charles Kitwanga is the first minister to be fired since the cabinet's appointment. Analysts said his sacking came as a surprise as he was considered as part of Magufuli's inner circle.
Magufuli, who took office in November, has promised to tackle corruption and inefficiency in government. He has sacked several senior officials for graft and cut spending he deemed wasteful, such as the practice of sending official Christmas cards.
The presidential State House said in a statement that Kitwanga was sacked after he "turned up drunk to parliament and responded to a question directed to the Ministry of Home Affairs while in a drunken state."
It did not say when the episode took place, the Yahoo News reported.
Government red tape and official corruption have often been blamed by businesses for slowing down or deterring investment in the poor African nation, which has discovered offshore gas reserves that it is seeking to develop.
President Magufuli has said he will impose discipline on the civil service and public institutions.
- Pakistan reduces import of Ozone depleting substances to 50pc11:52 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Opposition announces Pakistan Democratic Movement against ...11:34 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Khobragade's posting at Indian HC incommensurate with Pakistan's ...11:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- WAPDA opens jobs for locals in Gilgit-Baltistan10:59 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan Railways introduces two new trains10:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make it to the list of Time’s 100 most ...01:14 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Keanu Reeves reveals that The Matrix 4 is to be a Love Story01:11 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- I learnt how to ride a bike for 'Quaid e Azam Zindabad': Mahira Khan06:11 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020