Over 90 killed in Myanmar landslide
An estimated 100 people are still missing, a rescue official said on Sunday.
The landslide happened in the early hours of Saturday in Hpakant, an area that produces some of the world's highest-quality jade, but the mines and dump sites for debris are rife with hazards and landslides are not uncommon, though rarely this deadly, India Today cited.
Workers, many of them migrants from other parts of the country, toil long hours for little pay.
The state-run Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper said that many of the miners were sleeping in huts when the landslide occurred.
- Maryam Nawaz 'was given rat-contaminated food in Kot Lakhpat Jail'10:46 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Pakistan not considering recognition of Israel, says FO09:46 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- COVID restrictions – Sindh extends business timing over traders's ...08:43 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- When will Shehbaz Sharif, son Hamza be released on parole?07:45 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Nabeel Zuberi takes lead role in Aulaad05:29 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Mehwish Hayat gets surprised by some secret admirer (VIDEO)05:21 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020