Gulzar Ahmed to replace Asif Khosa as next Chief Justice of Pakistan
ISLAMABAD – The Ministry of Law and Justice on Friday sent a summary to the Prime Minister’s Office for the appointment of Justice Gulzar Ahmed as the next chief justice of Pakistan.
Asif Saeed Khosa, who became the country’s top judge in January last year, is retiring on December 20 this year.
Following his retirement, Justice Gulzar will take oath as the 27th CJP and serve until February 1st, 2022.
Born in Karachi on February 2, 1957, Justice Gulzar completed his education in law and then pursued his career as a lawyer. He initially served at the Sindh High Court (SHC) in 1986. In 1988, he was elevated to the Supreme Court of Pakistan as advocate.
Justice Gulzar sworn in as SHC judge on August 27, 2002 and became the apex court’s judge on November 16, 2011.
He has been part of benches deciding high-profile cases and had authored many landmark judgements, including the famous Panama case.
- Pakistan stands by Turkey against FETO threat, Imran tells Erdogan09:29 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Pakistani university announces fee waiver for Spring semester amid ...09:18 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Coronavirus – Punjab extends lockdown till July 3009:03 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 255,000 cases of coronavirus – 5,365 confirmed ...08:48 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- TCL Pakistan debuts expanded range of QLED TVs featuring Quantum ...08:37 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Asim and I share a bond beyond anyone’s comprehension: Hania Amir05:22 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Hadiqa Kiani releases song to pay tribute to Kashmiri Martyrs12:38 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Nadia Jamil updates her fans about her recovery after chemo12:13 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020