Gulzar Ahmed to replace Asif Khosa as next Chief Justice of Pakistan
ISLAMABAD – The Ministry of Law and Justice on Friday sent a summary to the Prime Minister’s Office for the appointment of Justice Gulzar Ahmed as the next chief justice of Pakistan.
Asif Saeed Khosa, who became the country’s top judge in January last year, is retiring on December 20 this year.
Following his retirement, Justice Gulzar will take oath as the 27th CJP and serve until February 1st, 2022.
Born in Karachi on February 2, 1957, Justice Gulzar completed his education in law and then pursued his career as a lawyer. He initially served at the Sindh High Court (SHC) in 1986. In 1988, he was elevated to the Supreme Court of Pakistan as advocate.
Justice Gulzar sworn in as SHC judge on August 27, 2002 and became the apex court’s judge on November 16, 2011.
He has been part of benches deciding high-profile cases and had authored many landmark judgements, including the famous Panama case.
- Bahrain's Crown Prince calls PM Imran, expresses condolences over ...12:17 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- IMF defers sixth review of bailout package for Pakistan11:43 AM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Xulfi served Rs100 million notice over 'Tu Jhoom' copyright ...11:19 AM | 26 Jan, 2022
- PM Imran launches Naya Pakistan Sehat Card in Islamabad10:48 AM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Black Day: Kashmiris observe India's Republic Day with protests10:24 AM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Watch: Mahmood Choudhry celebrates ‘princes’ Bakhtawar Bhutto’s ...08:22 PM | 25 Jan, 2022
- Shamoon Abbasi was offered a Bollywood film with Priyanka Chopra05:30 PM | 25 Jan, 2022
- Faryal Mehmood’s new dance video goes viral04:30 PM | 25 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021