Afghanistan set to open first full-fledged Islamic bank
The central bank of the country, Da Afghanistan Bank, awarded the licence to IBA after it completed the conversion of its assets and deposits to conform to Islamic banking practices, a senior bank official told Reuters. This includes no-interest loans and bans on gambling and alcohol.
Bank of China starts Pakistan operations from ... 06:15 PM | 7 Nov, 2017
ISLAMABAD - The Bank of China formally launched its operations in Pakistan with the inauguration of its first branch in ...
As of December, IBA held $187 million in deposits and offered services across a network of 59 branches in the country. While Afghanistan's banking sector is underdeveloped, observers say Islamic finance could bring more people into the financial system.
According to an estimate by IBA, only 5.7% of Afghans are believed to have access to banking services. The introduction of Islamic banking in the country is expected to bring more people under banking.
"بانک اسلامی افغانستان" جواز فعالیت خود را رسماً از بانک مرکزی کشور بدست آورد. pic.twitter.com/uDCSwoGdJn— Islamic Bank of Afghanistan (@IBA_AFG) April 16, 2018
IBA has the third largest branch network in the country and the firm is seeking to rapidly grow its business over the next two years, said Faizan Ahmed, chief financial officer.
Most Afghans shun interest-based finance for religious reasons.
Da Afghanistan Bank released a regulatory framework in 2015 based on the Accounting and Auditing Organisation for Islamic Financial Institutions to encourage citizens to seek formal financial services.
Pakistan allows Chinese Yuan for bilateral trade 08:53 AM | 3 Jan, 2018
KARACHI - The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) on Tuesday said that doors were opened for using Chinese Yuan (CNY) in ...
Up until now, only a few select firms offered Islamic banking through so-called Islamic windows. Lenders with Islamic windows include Afghan United Bank, Ghazanfar Bank and Afghanistan International Bank.
Fully-fledged Islamic banks are common in Muslim-majority countries.
Instability in war-torn Afghanistan is also believed to be a factor for the low number of citizens holding bank accounts. Violence is expected to increase this year as Afghans have begun registering voters in the lead up to October polls.
57 killed, over 100 injured in suicide attack on ... 01:20 PM | 22 Apr, 2018
KABUL - At least 57 people were killed while more than 100 others injured in an explosion in Dasht-e-Barchi in Kabul on ...
On Sunday, an 'Islamic State'suicide bomber killed at least 57 people outside a voter registration centre in Kabul. More than 100 were also wounded in the blast.
- Saudi Arabia, Morocco to receive ‘made in India’ Covid vaccine ...08:36 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan Navy chief Admiral Amjad Khan visits Saudi Arabia, meets ...08:08 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Demonetize Rs5,000 note from July 2021, suggests ex-FBR chairman07:38 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Goat-stealing ‘Churail’ captured in South Punjab07:33 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- #JusticeforChuck – Protest against animal abuse, killings in Lahore ...07:02 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Pehli Si Muhabbat, starring Maya Ali, Sheheryar Munawar and HSY, ...06:50 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Bakhtawar-Mahmood's wedding guest count revealed04:21 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat’s spouse Tuba sizzles in new photoshoot03:44 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021