Iran bans banks from dealing in cryptocurrencies
"The use of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies in all the country's monetary and financial centres was banned," the central bank said in a statement Monday.
The bank said the government's money-laundering committee had taken the decision in late December and it was now being put into effect.
El Petro: Venezuela launches world's first ... 12:37 AM | 21 Feb, 2018
CARACAS - Venezuela has launched the world's first sovereign cryptocurrency, El Petro, in an attempt to bypass tough ...
Iran's currency, the rial, plunged to an all-time low in early April.
Banks, credit institutions and currency exchanges all now have to avoid any sale or purchase of digital currencies.
In February, Minister of Information and Communications Technology Mohammad-Javad Azari Jahromi announced a plan to develop Iran's own virtual currency.
Jahromi's project was also backed by Iran's cyber-security authority, which said it would support virtual currencies if they were properly regulated.
But the central bank did not agree. At the time, it told Iranian state media that the "wild fluctuations" of crypto-currencies, together with "pyramid schemes", had made the virtual currency market "unreliable and risky".
State Bank issues stern warning against ... 10:30 AM | 7 Apr, 2018
KARACHI - The state bank of Pakistan advised people against the usage of cryptocurrency in any kind of transactions in ...
In early April, the State Bank of Pakistan advised people against the usage of cryptocurrency in any kind of transactions in the country, saying the Virtual Currencies/Coins/Tokens provide a high degree of anonymity and potentially can be used for facilitating illegal activities.
The price of Bitcoin is currently $8,895.49 (£6,373.75).
- Punjab extends lockdown till May 30 fearing spike in Covid cases10:47 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Pakistan records 2,379 new Covid-19 cases, 76 deaths in 24 hours10:21 AM | 16 May, 2021
- MD Glam on why women should say no to skincare products made from ...10:01 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Senior politician Begum Naseem Wali Khan is no more!09:49 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-May-16-Updated 09:30 ...09:30 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 9 million Insta followers in style10:06 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Bollywood diva Madhuri Dixit turns 5404:47 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Here's what your favourite stars wore on Eid-ul-Fitr11:51 AM | 15 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021