In a first, Chitral women get share in forest royalty
The program aims at strengthening women financially and raise their status, has been initiated in Chitral and it will be extended to Malakand, BBC Urdu reported.
Earlier, shares was only given to the male members of all families. Now, the step has been taken to include the women in the program after discussing it in different meetings between administration, lady representatives in local government and forest department.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Chairman Imran Khan also took to Twitter on Thursday announcing the step for women empowerment.
He said, "Women empowerment in KP moves another step forward. Royalty from sustainable forestry to be distributed directly to rural women (for the first time ever) in Chitral - will be followed soon by Malakand".
Women empowerment in KP moves another step forward. Royalty from sustainable forestry to be distributed directly to rural women (for the first time ever) in Chitral - will be followed soon by Malakand https://t.co/qalJ7Hs1Ou— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) February 23, 2018
From the income generated through the sale of forest timber, 60 percent share is paid to local residents while 40 percent is held by the provincial government.
After this revolutionary step, the forest royalty would be directly given to women, besides the existing holders of this royalty.
PTI MPA from Chitral, Bibi Fozia, talking to Dawn News said, “The disbursement of forest royalty through the joint forest management committees (JFMCs) was not legal as per rules given in the Forest Act as major chunk of the amount would go to a few influential people while women were ignored”.
“The women will now be no more dependent on the male members of their families for money to fulfil their needs,” she said.
- India reports 4,077 new Covid deaths as UP police try to keep sacred ...10:47 PM | 16 May, 2021
- OIC resolution calls upon Israel to stop rights violations, terrorism ...09:52 PM | 16 May, 2021
- PIA plane carrying 1 million doses of Sinovac vaccine lands in ...08:49 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Biden phones Netanyahu, Abbas as death toll in Israeli airstrikes on ...07:54 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Cyclone Tauktae – Heavy rains kill 4, affect over 42,000 in Sri ...06:14 PM | 16 May, 2021
- ‘New beginnings’ – Ghana Ali all set to tie the knot01:19 PM | 16 May, 2021
- MD Glam on why women should say no to skincare products made from ...10:01 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 9 million Insta followers in style10:06 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021