Pakistani newspaper's "clever", inaccurate headline on night of failed coup criticized by Turkey
ISLAMABAD - The Ambassador of Turkey to Pakistan Sadiq Babar Girgin has expressed disappointment at how a leading English-medium Pakistani newspaper covered last week's failed coup in the Turkish capital Ankara, while noting the gross inaccuracy of its headline, which proclaimed "Erdo-Gone".
The envoy said that the Turkish government had usually found the Pakistani media to be extremely cooperative.
However, on the night of the failed coup in Ankara, he said one Pakistani English newspaper had disappointed him with its coverage of the event, especially since the Turkish President Recep Erdogan had offered condolences to the then Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari when the owner of said newspaper had been martyred by one of his security guards in 2011.
The headline in question rather enthusiastically claimed success for the Turkish coup on the night it broke out. But soon after on the same day, most news agencies had reported the failure of the coup, casting doubt on the reporting procedures of the said newspaper.
- Pakistani police hunt PM Imran Khan's nephew over PIC attack11:41 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan to chair 63rd session of UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs09:54 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- TCM: Pakistani scientists successfully test first traditional Chinese ...09:22 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan ranked the world's best holiday destination for 202008:56 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- PM Imran Khan meets Saudi crown prince on day-long visit08:39 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Brad Pitt addresses rumours regarding dating actress Alia Shawkat02:12 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Khuda Aur Mohabbat is coming again with season 301:59 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Tabla legend Ustad Ajmal Khan passes away in Islamabad12:50 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019