Sikhs celebrate Guru Nanak's 550th birth anniversary in Pakistan
Sikhs from northern Pakistani province of Khyber Pakhtukhwa, and India, Canada, the UK and other parts of the world joined the main Palki procession at Nankana Sahib on Friday to mark the birth anniversary of their religious lord, Baba Guru Nanak.
The Palki procession, also called Nagar Kirtan with Granth Sahib, kicked off from Gurdwara Janam Asthan and concluded at the main religious ceremony after passing from seven other gurdwaras in Nankana Sahib including Paiti Sahib, Palia Sahib, Tambu Sahib, Panjhvin Padshahi, Chehnvin Padshahi, Salji Sahib and Giyara Sahib.
According to Sikh rituals, all pilgrims wash their feet before entering the Janam Asthan.
ننکانا صاحب میں اس وقت بابا گُرو نانک کے جنم دن کے حوالے سے تقریبات جاری ہیں بھارت سے آئے سکھ یاتریوں کا کیا کہنا ہے آپ بھی براہ راست دیکھیںPosted by Daily Pakistan on Friday, November 23, 2018
The visitors also appreciated the initiative of the Pakistani government to construct Kartarpur corridor to facilitate Sikh pilgrims visiting Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur on the banks of the Ravi river in the eastern province of Punjab.
Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib, which is three kilometres from the India-Pakistan border, is the final resting place of Guru Nanak.
Under the framework of the Pakistan-India Protocol on Visits to Religious Shrines of 1974, a large number of Sikh pilgrims from India visit Pakistan to observe various religious festivals and occasions every year.
The celebrations of the event would continue till 30th.
Sikhism was born in Punjab, a region that was divided between the two countries during partition in 1947.
The Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur is one of Sikhism's holiest shrines. The religion's founder, Guru Nanak, spent the last 18 years of his life there.
Pakistan is likely to begin construction on its side of the road later this month. A start date for work on the Indian side is yet to be announced.
- 640 new coronavirus cases reported; one death in past 24 hours in ...04:31 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- We will continue to restore democracy by removing PTI govt: Zardari03:43 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- APC turning point in Pakistani politics, time to take major decisions ...02:11 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make it to the list of Time’s 100 most ...01:14 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Keanu Reeves reveals that The Matrix 4 is to be a Love Story01:11 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- I learnt how to ride a bike for 'Quaid e Azam Zindabad': Mahira Khan06:11 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020