WWF-Pakistan launches project to improve livelihoods of mountain communities
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Coca-Cola Foundation under the banner of New World Initiative have funded the project. Other project partners include the Mountain Agricultural Research Centre (MARC) of the Pakistan Agriculture Research Council (PARC), GB Agriculture department, and Karakoram Natural Resource (Private) Limited – a local agro-based company.
According to Dr. Babar Khan, Senior Manager Conservation and Head Gilgit-Baltistan Region, ‘Gilgit-Baltistan is a region where hardly two per cent of land is available for agriculture.
In order to alleviate poverty and ensure food security, the project will promote sustainable use of water resources, and introduce better fruit and crop varieties, and high efficiency drip irrigation system, which will improve the livelihoods of mountain people’.
The project aims to demonstrate high-efficiency irrigation technologies i.e. drip irrigation system; introduce high productive new varieties of crops; develop value chains for high-value mountain horticulture produce; increasing plantations with fodder species to secure vulnerable catchments; training of nursery owners, local farmers and youth in nursery management; high production; processing and value addition technologies.
The project will benefit local farmers, male and female youth, nursery operators, local communities, research institutions i.e. PARC/MARC, government departments and private entities and contribute to improved access to water for drinking and irrigation; improved livelihood; food security and income generation opportunities, especially for small land holder farming families; employability for educated local youth in agricultural sector; training and skill development; building technical and institutional capacities to tap economic benefits of the upcoming China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) project.
- PM Imran hails CM Khalid’s plan to turn Gilgit-Baltistan into ...06:41 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Stranded crew of seized PIA plane returns to Pakistan today06:09 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- PDM rallies to reach Islamabad by 1pm tomorrow, announces Fazlur ...05:33 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- ECP suspends 154 MPs including Fawad Chaudhry for not filing assets ...05:13 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Samsung sets new standard for flagship mobile processors with Exynos ...04:56 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Pakistani actor Huma Nawab loses Rs0.2 million to online scammers04:10 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Saboor Aly sheds light on the beauty standards of entertainment ...02:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Kim Kardashian hits 200 million followers mark on Instagram01:28 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021