Twitteratis react after world’s largest stadium renamed after Indian PM Narendra Modi
In a rare move, India has renamed the world’s largest cricket stadium located in country’s western state of Gujrat after incumbent Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The Narendra Modi Stadium, which was formerly known as Sardar Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad, was inaugurated by President of India Ram Nath Kovind on Wednesday.
The move has drawn mixed reactions on social media with a user saying, “Narendra Modi has named Motera Stadium as "Narendra Modi Stadium" after seeking inspiration from the life of Narendra Modi”.
“Heights of Narcissism. This must be the first case in the world where a living person has named a public property after his own name. Megalomaniac!” he added.
Narendra Modi has named Motera Stadium as "Narendra Modi Stadium" after seeking inspiration from the life of Narendra Modi.— Gaurav Pandhi (@GauravPandhi) February 24, 2021
Heights of Narcissism. This must be the first case in the world where a living person has named a public property after his own name. Megalomaniac!
Now that we've renamed Sardar Patel Stadium to Narendra Modi stadium.— Mohammed Zubair (@zoo_bear) February 24, 2021
Hope they name cricket stands after two more greatest cricketers of all time. Ambani ji and Adani ji pic.twitter.com/niWZAe0Jfm
Modi, who is serving as the prime minister for second consecutive time, has have been headlines for its anti-minority policies in violation of democratic rules.
“World’s largest stadium dedicated to the world’s largest personality!,” Priti Gandhi, a BJP spokeswoman, said in a tweet.
On the other hand, Hardik Patel, president of the opposition Congress party in the state said: “The people of Gujarat will not bear this insult to Sardar Patel”.
Sardar Patel was India’s first interior minister and the authorities had named the largest sports complex after him.
Dedicating sports stadiums to former prime ministers is common practice in India, but renaming such a major venue for a sitting leader is rare move.
- PTI minister tells why PM Imran can’t expel French ambassador11:55 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- 12 security personnel taken hostage by TLP protesters recovered: ...10:53 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Marastyal – KPK launches mobile app to lodge complaints against ...08:38 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Unknown persons booked for disrespecting 'King Priest' at Mohenjo-Daro08:04 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas appointed goodwill ambassador by Turkey03:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Arjun Rampal, Neil Nitin Mukesh test positive for Covid-1902:01 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021