Grant Elliott takes New Zealand to World Cup final
New Zealand will now face either Australia or India -whoever wins the second semifinal- in the final match of the mega event.
New Zealand successfully chased the target of 298 runs in the last over when GD Elliot smashed a six. He remained the most product batsman by Kiwi's side and scored 84 runs off 73 balls only. CG Anderson and BB McCullum contributed 58 and 59 runs respectively.
South Africa's M Morker picked 3 wickets for 59 runs whereas D Steyn and JP Duminy each got one wicket.
The match has been reduced to 43 overs a side after rain forced the players from the field for nearly two hours and New Zealand's victory target was adjusted to 298 under the Duckworth-Lewis method.
For South Africa, Faf de Plessis made 82, AB de Villiers was not out 65 while David Miller smashed an 18-ball 49.
South Africa won the toss and opted to bat first against New Zealand in their World Cup semi-final at Eden Park on Tuesday.
Conditions were ripe for swing bowling with moisture in the atmosphere following overnight rain and with showers forecast for later in the day.
Matt Henry replaced injured Adam Milne for the Black Caps while Vernon Philander comes in for Kyle Abbott for South Africa.
"There is a bit of cloud cover so hopefully it will swing for us a bit," New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum said while South Africa skipper AB de Villiers said he was happy with his decision to bat first.
"It looks a good wicket and we rank ourselves to do well against them," he said.
New Zealand: Brendon McCullum (capt), Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Corey Anderson, Grant Elliott, Luke Ronchi, Daniel Vettori, Tim Southee, Trent Boult, Matt Henry
South Africa: AB de Villiers (capt), Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock, Faf du Plessis, Rilee Rossouw, David Miller, JP Duminy, Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander, Morne Morkel, Imran Tahir
Umpires: Rod Tucker (AUS), Ian Gould (ENG)
TV umpire: Nigel Llong (ENG)
Match referee: David Boon (AUS)
- Mohammad Amir set to play for London Spirit in England's Hundred ...11:07 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- China unveils super-speed train prototype that hits 620 kph10:36 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Co-build ecosystem with Haier brand seminar 202109:40 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Aiman Zaman and husband respond to leaked video controversy08:51 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Ex-Corps commander Bilal Akbar appointed Pakistan’s new envoy to ...08:19 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Chinese children's performance on Sohni Dharti winning hearts in ...07:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Reema Khan receives Covid-19 vaccine in US (VIDEO)02:33 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- ‘Mashroob-e-Maghrib’ – Hareem Shah reveals the favourite drink ...03:40 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021