SC directs Geo News to pay penalties
A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Mian Saqib Nisar heard a case pertaining to sales tax evasion against Geo News on Tuesday with the top judge saying, he does not care about anything except the state.
During the hearing, the top judge passes point-blank remarks and said the propaganda by the channel against him will make no difference.
'Geo News has not paid a single penny for the Diamer-Bhasha dam fund and I do not care how many programmes Shahzaib Khanzada does against me, lamented the top judge.
During the hearing, Geo‘s counsel Khalid Latif informed the court that all taxes have been paid adding that according to the channel, taxes were not applicable but he insisted the stance was wrong.
The counsel pleaded that taxes exceeding Rs78 million between January to September 2007 were payable by Geo News whereas taxes exceeding Rs126.4 million were outstanding for the period between July 2004 till June 2006.
To this, the chief justice wondered how the Federal Board of Revenue’s (FBR) amnesty scheme could apply to provincial taxes, observing that no one was allowed to simultaneously benefit from two schemes.
- Five dead in second deadly bombing in Jalalabad in two days11:02 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Sindh govt to arrest unvaccinated people in line with NCOC orders10:17 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Navjot Sidhu in race for Indian Punjab CM after Amarinder Singh's ...07:37 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- UNGA session: PM Imran to address the world's biggest diplomatic ...07:10 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan calls up players for National T20 after New Zealand ...06:44 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Katrina Kaif’s new workout video goes viral04:32 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Saeeda Imtiaz’s new bold photos draw severe public criticism03:03 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Alizeh Shah’s new bold look goes viral02:30 PM | 19 Sep, 2021