SC directs Geo News to pay penalties
A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Mian Saqib Nisar heard a case pertaining to sales tax evasion against Geo News on Tuesday with the top judge saying, he does not care about anything except the state.
During the hearing, the top judge passes point-blank remarks and said the propaganda by the channel against him will make no difference.
'Geo News has not paid a single penny for the Diamer-Bhasha dam fund and I do not care how many programmes Shahzaib Khanzada does against me, lamented the top judge.
During the hearing, Geo‘s counsel Khalid Latif informed the court that all taxes have been paid adding that according to the channel, taxes were not applicable but he insisted the stance was wrong.
The counsel pleaded that taxes exceeding Rs78 million between January to September 2007 were payable by Geo News whereas taxes exceeding Rs126.4 million were outstanding for the period between July 2004 till June 2006.
To this, the chief justice wondered how the Federal Board of Revenue’s (FBR) amnesty scheme could apply to provincial taxes, observing that no one was allowed to simultaneously benefit from two schemes.
- Senior Pakistani journalist Ayaz Amir arrested in Sarah Inam’s ...09:44 AM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Two Pakistan Army soldiers martyred in North Waziristan IED blast09:05 AM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:27 AM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 25 September 202208:16 AM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Priyanka Chopra calls Malala Yousafzai her 'favourite' in latest ...11:55 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Abrar to file case against Bollywood director Karan Johar in India09:45 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Sarwat Gillani talks about her cosmetic procedures and wardrobe ...10:10 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Teen sets Guinness World Record for most socks worn in 30 seconds06:44 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022