Indian civil servant quits job over Kashmir situation
Kannan Gopinathan tendered the resignation on Wednesday and fired a broadside at the ruling regime for having imposed a communication blackout in occupied Kashmir region.
“It has been 20 days since there has been a lockdown on a whole region with all kinds of restrictions. I cannot remain silent over this even if this means I have to resign from the IAS in order to speak freely and that is what I have done,” he said.
The bureaucrat stated that the constitution allows for the imposition of a state of emergency if there is aggression within the region, but lamented that in Kashmir, it has been imposed as a preemptive measure.
People’s freedom has been curtailed on the grounds that if it is not, it will lead to an internal disturbance, he elaborated.
Gopinathan said that according to an amendment in the Indian Constitution this reason was no longer valid for imposing the emergency.
“This is not Yemen, this is not the 1970s, that you can deny basic rights to an entire people and nobody will say anything about it,” Gopinathan said.
The officer shared that civil servants are expected to implement instructions without analysing what is morally right or wrong adding that the conditions in Kashmir forced him to resign.
Responding to a question about his future plans, Gopinathan said he had not thought that far.
"But 20 years from now, if people ask me what I was doing when a virtual Emergency was imposed like this on a part of the country, at least I will be able to say that I resigned from the IAS," he said.
- Javed Afridi meets PM Imran to discuss of foreign direct investment ...11:11 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- NAB summons Fazlur Rehman’s son-in-law to declare assets10:37 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- COAS Bajwa congratulates Nepalese climbers for first winter ascent of ...09:32 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- A paper tiger? PML-N's Rana Sanaullah 'roars' at Lahore court (VIDEO)08:22 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Mufti Abdul Qavi declared 'a mental patient' amid Hareem Shah ...08:00 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Sara Ali Khan swings into the weekend with style in Maldives03:56 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Pakistanis plan an ‘Urdu Mushaira’ outside Islamabad café as ...03:34 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Cannoli café manager gets job offers from Shahbaz Taseer and Karak ...05:59 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021