Australia deploys army in Victoria after spike in coronavirus cases
Australia has decided to deploy 1,000 army troops in its south-eastern state, Victoria, to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
The decision comes after the state witnessed spike in Covid-19, which has claimed over 400,000 lives across the world, in recent days. Victoria reported 33 new cases overnight.
The soldiers will assist the authorities in the country's second most populous state to stem the spread of the virus.
Australia has so far been hailed as a global success story in containing the pandemic by taking quick shutdown measures.
The country has reported just over 7,400 cases and 104 deaths.
More than 1,300 officials are now combing "hotspot" suburbs in Melbourne to carry out a massive testing "blitz".
"Rather than waiting for an unsustainable number of community transmission to become known, we are going to go literally door-to-door, we are bringing the public health response to your doorstep," BBC quoted Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews as saying.
The government has planning to conduct 100,000 tests in 10 days to curb the further spread of the diseases.
The state has to impose strict restrictions again, besides extending a state of emergency until July 12.
- Matric result 2020 to be announced in Punjab on Sept 19, confirms ...11:59 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Woman gang-raped in presence of husband in Pakistan's village days ...11:19 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Nepal to mint coins displaying new political map that shows ...10:42 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- FBR imposes Rs35 million penalty on Justice Isa’s wife for failing ...09:41 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Nawaz Sharif accepts Bilawal’s invitation to virtually attend ...09:07 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Nida Yasir apologizes after receiving backlash04:20 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- 'The Batman' filming resumes following shutdown over Robert ...02:36 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Aima Baig confirms that she’s dating Shahbaz Shigri02:19 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020