Has India already overtaken China as world's most populous country?
"China's real population may have been about 1.29 billion last year, 90 million fewer people than the official figure released by the National Bureau of Statistics," said Yi Fuxian, a scholar and demographer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, at a seminar in Peking University earlier this week.
Yi was quoted by the South China Morning Post as saying "there were 377.6 million new births from 1991 to 2016, less than the official figure of 464.8 million.”
Yi, who has been a critic of the Chinese government's family planning measures and warned of an upcoming ageing crisis for China, also said that the government had been overstating China's population since 1990. He suggested the ageing crisis may be more severe than expected.
Despite the population burdens faced by both countries, this landmark is being seen by most Chinese scholars as a warning rather than any cause for relief, with fears of a rapidly declining workforce and concerns of supporting the world's largest above 60 population.
- Eight missing as strong winds knock over two fishing boats near Thatta07:40 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Honda increases car prices by up to Rs126,00006:51 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- U19 World Cup – Papua New Guinea win toss, opt to bat first against ...06:10 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Usman Mukhtar opens up about his equation with Naimal Khawar05:25 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- 'Main Chala’ - Salman Khan shares the teaser of his latest music ...04:33 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021