Has India already overtaken China as world's most populous country?
"China's real population may have been about 1.29 billion last year, 90 million fewer people than the official figure released by the National Bureau of Statistics," said Yi Fuxian, a scholar and demographer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, at a seminar in Peking University earlier this week.
Yi was quoted by the South China Morning Post as saying "there were 377.6 million new births from 1991 to 2016, less than the official figure of 464.8 million.”
Yi, who has been a critic of the Chinese government's family planning measures and warned of an upcoming ageing crisis for China, also said that the government had been overstating China's population since 1990. He suggested the ageing crisis may be more severe than expected.
Despite the population burdens faced by both countries, this landmark is being seen by most Chinese scholars as a warning rather than any cause for relief, with fears of a rapidly declining workforce and concerns of supporting the world's largest above 60 population.
- BANvPAK – Pakistan beat Bangladesh by 8 wickets in first Test match10:38 AM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Pakistan offers to host OIC summit on Afghanistan09:36 AM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey steps down09:01 AM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Coronavirus takes 10 more lives in Pakistan08:37 AM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Pakistan, Thailand seal victories in ICC Women's Cricket World Cup ...12:20 AM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Hania Aamir spotted enjoying Asim Azhar's concert in Karachi06:21 PM | 29 Nov, 2021
- Juvaria Abbasi and Anoushey Abbasi's mother passes away05:30 PM | 29 Nov, 2021
- Bakhtawar Bhutto Zardari shares new adorable photo with son Mir Hakim04:45 PM | 29 Nov, 2021