Pakistani beheaded in Saudi Arabia over heroin smuggling
Authorities executed Hafiz Wifaq Rasoul Shah in the holy city of Medina, an interior ministry statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency said.
“Investigations led to his confession and he was tried and found guilty,” the statement said.
According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, the Gulf has become an increasingly important market for illicit drugs in recent years.
The Saudi government says it “is committed to fighting drugs of all kinds due to the physical and social harm they cause”.
Drug trafficking, rape, murder, apostasy and armed robbery are all punishable by death in Saudi Arabia.
Amnesty International said in its annual report released Wednesday that death sentences are often imposed “after unfair trials”.
The London-based watchdog said some defendants claimed to have been tortured or “otherwise coerced or misled into making false confessions” before trial.
According to an AFP count, the kingdom executed 87 people last year, up from 78 in 2013.
- Pakistan logs 1,239 new Covid-19 cases, 56 deaths in past 24 hours10:00 AM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - 13 June 202109:17 AM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 13 June 202108:36 AM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Iranian-American arrested for entering Pakistan on fake documents05:13 AM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 7 inspirational small business ideas by young entrepreneur Faizan ...10:47 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Sonali Bendre proudly shares transformation on Cancer Survivors’ Day05:51 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Waseem Abbas reflects on Mahira Khan-Firdous Jamal controversy04:44 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Shah Rukh Khan gets back to work for 'Pathan' shooting04:20 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021