LHC accepts to hear Musharraf's petition against impending verdict in treason case
LAHORE - The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Tuesday admitted a petition filed by former president retired Gen Pervez Musharraf against the upcoming verdict reserved by the special court in the high treason case against him.
Justice Syed Mazhar Ali Akbar Naqvi on Monday sought arguments from Musharraf's lawyer, Khwaja Ahmad Tariq, regarding the maintainability of the petition.
Tariq was directed to submit his arguments on the following points:
How can the LHC hear the petition if there are proceedings against Musharraf ongoing in the Supreme Court?
Musharraf is a resident of Islamabad — how is the petition maintainable in Lahore?
Today, the high court removed its objections on the petition and accepted it for hearing. The LHC also issued a notice to the federal government and summoned Attorney General Anwar Mansoor Khan to provide assistance to the court, local media reported.
The special court on November 19 concluding the proceedings of treason trial under Article 6 of the Constitution as well as Section 2 of the High Treason Act for clamping the state of emergency on Nov 3, 2007. It is set to announce the verdict on Nov 28.
Meanwhile, the Islamabad High Court on Tuesday also heard petitions filed by the former president and the interior ministry requesting it stop the special court from announcing the verdict in the treason case.
A full bench comprising IHC Chief Justice Athar Minallah, Justice Aamer Farooq and Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kayani heard the petitions.
Justice Minallah said that Musharraf is an absconder and asked the interior ministry's counsel to submit a complete record including ministry's stance and formation of the special court.
The court has adjourned the proceedings until tomorrow.
- Infinix grand reward for its customers to celebrate Blessed Week10:26 AM | 12 Dec, 2019
- Rangers troops deployed in Lahore after lawyers ransack hospital11:30 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- PM Imran becomes world's fifth most influential leader on Twitter in ...10:51 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Dozens arrested in crackdown after lawyers storm PIC Lahore08:51 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Beyoncé & Kelly Rowland were sexually harassed as teens by Jagged ...06:57 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Ed Sheeran declared as the UK’s artist of the decade06:26 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Mere Paas Tum Ho scores more IMDB rating than Game of Thrones02:23 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019