PTI govt reluctant to offer PAC chairmanship to opposition
The incumbent government is of the view that the committee will be auditing the revenue and expenditures of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz government and appointing their man will not be suitable.
All parliamentary parties get representation and chairmanship of the committee in proportionate to their seats in the National Assembly. As per the rule, the PML-N is due to get the chairmanship of nine committees while the opposition party wanted to head the PAC as it has, according to sources, informed the NA Speaker Asad Qaiser about its desire.
The government, under the law, is not bound to offer the chairmanship of the all-important PAC to opposition parties, but it has been happened in the past as a parliamentary practice and tradition in order to ensure transparency in financial matters.
Talking to an English daily, PML-N spokesperson Marriam Aurangzeb said that the party has decided the names of the heads of the committees and nominated Shehbaz Sharif as chairman of the PAC.
On the other hand, Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said that the PML-N wanted to get the PAC chairmanship but the government has not taken any decision in this regard.
Chaudhry further said that a final decision will be taken in a meeting to be presided over by Prime Minister Imran Khan on Wednesday.
- Karachi police bust ‘burger gang’ involved in house robberies in ...10:30 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- PCB unveils team Pakistan’s official jersey for T20 World Cup08:45 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Pakistan reopens shrines, cinemas for fully vaccinated visitors08:20 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Saba Qamar drops the first look from upcoming project 'Serial Killer'04:47 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat expresses love for Jennifer Lopez04:20 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Alizeh Shah's gorgeous bridal shoot wins hearts03:27 PM | 15 Oct, 2021