Polio patient drowns in Karachi flooding
KARACHI - A woman suffering from crippling disease of polio drowned in her house on Thursday after urban flooding hit residential areas amid heavy rainfall in Karachi, local media reported.
The incident happened in PECHS Society when the rain water entered the houses. The victim was on her wheel chair and was unable to move out when high level of water engulfed her.
On the other hand, a mad lost her life after he drowned in an underpass of Karachi which was filled with water due to rains.
Floodwaters forced scores of people to evacuate their homes and head for safer areas, disrupting normal life, officials have said.
Although rains have lashed many parts of Pakistan, Karachi, located near the Arabian sea, was the hardest-hit city.
Streets were flooded with sewage water in Karachi, where drainage and sewage systems are outdated.
Rains are expected to continue this week in Karachi, where Prime Minister Imran Khan earlier this month sent troops to help local authorities in pumping out rainwater from inundated residential areas.
Every year, many cities in Pakistan struggle to cope with the annual monsoon deluge, drawing criticism about poor planning.
The monsoon season runs from July through September.
- Two terrorists killed in Balochistan operation: ISPR11:22 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan sharply rejects India’s ‘irresponsible remarks’ about ...10:35 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Faisalabad locals find unexploded bomb might have been dropped during ...10:24 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Coronavirus — Pakistan PM Imran seeks more debt relief from G-20 ...09:07 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston reveals that she almost quit Hollywood04:48 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- The Boys – A massive Amazon hit all set to have a spin-off04:19 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Ahad Raza Mir turns 27, receives heartwarming birthday wishes from ...03:57 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020