Terror hits France again: Teenage attackers slit priest’s throat in front of congregation
The teenager assisted by one other killed the priest, Jacques Hamel, by slitting his throat, seriously injuring one worshiper in the process as well.
Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack on the church in the northern town of Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray
Kermiche was a French militant under house arrest for attempting to run twice to join ISIS, first to Syria using his brother’s identity and second to Turkey in May 2015 from where he was caught again and kept in custody till March 2016.
After returning to France, he was fitted with an electronic bracelet and was allowed to leave his home on weekdays between 8:00 am and 12:30 pm. It was during this time that he along with his partner entered the monumental Saint-Etienne church and took the priest along with three nuns and two worshipers as hostages.
One of the nuns escaped and alerted the police, who arrived on the scene and tried to negotiate with the militants but the militants charged towards the police and were killed by them.
This was the third major attack in France in the last 18 months and is expected to raise further questions on the security failure in the country.
- US Ambassador Donald Blome attends flag-lowering ceremony at Wagah ...02:05 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- JS Bank holds medical camps and food distribution in flood affected ...01:32 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- ‘We just have to play with it’: Imran Khan’s audio leak about ...01:03 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan PM Shehbaz, Army Chief felicitates Saudi crown prince on ...11:51 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Anil Kapoor sends birthday wishes to Pakistani fashion designer08:52 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Malala 'so grateful' to husband for holding her hand and awards09:15 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Hrithik Roshan and Saif Ali Khan groove to 'Alcoholiya'11:32 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022