India's spiritual guru Ram Rahim sentenced to 20 years in jail after rape conviction
CBI Judge Jagdeep Singh pronounced two sentences of 10 years rigorous imprisonment in each of the two cases that date back to 2002, according to defence lawyer S.K. Garg Narwana.
He said both sentences would run consecutively for a total of 20 years in jail for the flamboyant guru, who has lakhs of followers and counts politicians as well as celebrities as his friends.
Justice Singh also fined him Rs. 15 lakh in each of the two cases, of which Rs. 14 lakh each would go to the two victims who were part of his sect and were coerced into having sex with him.
The court had been set up in the jail where a judge has arrived in a government helicopter to sentence spiritual guru, who is the head of Sirsa-based Dera Sacha Sauda, in a 2002 rape case, India media reported.
Thousands of troops have been deployed to guard the prison in Haryana following threats of violent protests.
Today, the army is alert and can enter the premises of town in about an hour if any uncertain situation happens, said military sources. The Rohtak police has warned that it may shoot at any sign of trouble.
Police have banned supporters from gathering near the Rohtak prison and into the city.
Over 30 killed, 250 injured as violence erupts ... 05:04 PM | 25 Aug, 2017
NEW DELHI - At least 30 people were killed and over 250 injured on Friday when clashes broke out in northern India ...
During the hearing, the prosecution asked the court to award the convict ten years imprisonment, while defence pleaded the court to award five years sentence as his health condition is not stable.
The convict also burst into tears before the judge and sought forgiveness for his wrongdoings.
Judge Jagdeep Singh had on Friday convicted Ram Rahim of raping two women followers.
After his conviction, violence protests erupted across India during which at least 38 people died and nearly 200 were injured.
- Stranded crew of seized PIA plane returns to Pakistan today06:09 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- PDM rallies to reach Islamabad by 1pm tomorrow, announces Fazlur ...05:33 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- ECP suspends 154 MPs including Fawad Chaudhry for not filing assets ...05:13 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Samsung sets new standard for flagship mobile processors with Exynos ...04:56 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan condemns Yemen's Houthi attack on Saudi Arabia village04:54 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Pakistani actor Huma Nawab loses Rs0.2 million to online scammers04:10 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Saboor Aly sheds light on the beauty standards of entertainment ...02:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Kim Kardashian hits 200 million followers mark on Instagram01:28 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021