Russia unveils advanced 1,500mph MiG-35 fighter jet equipped with laser guns
The military aircraft, which has been constructed to be potentially equipped with laser weapons, will in the near future replace previous generation jets in the Russian Air Force.
The new war machine by the Mikoyan Aircraft Corporation (MiG) can fly at speeds of over 2,700 km/h (1,700 mph) and reach heights of up to 17,500 meters (57,400 feet).
Its strike radius is 1 ,000 km (620 miles), while it can be in action twice as long as previous generation fighters, as there is an option to replace the second pilot's seat with an extra fuel tank.
The new warplane was presented in a ceremony at the MiG factory in Lukhovitsy, Moscow , earlier this week.
The twin-engine jet, made by Mikoyan , will replace the MiG-29, which has been a mainstay of the Russian air force since the 1980s.
Egypt is the only other country to have shown an interest in the fighters and in 2015 signed a contract worth up to $2 billion for 50 MiG-35s.
Russia 's President Vladimir Putin has congratulated "the designers, engineers, workers and pilots" on the launch of the MiG-35 flight tests, which he called "an important event." During a video conference with the testing site, Putin also expressed hopes that the fighter will not only strengthen the Russian armed forces, but will also be in demand with international buyers.
"Our other aircraft, the MiG-29, is actively used in more than 30 countries, with a good infrastructure and well-trained staff providing for the use of such Russian fighters," the president said.
While the latest Class 4++ MiG-35 jets are being tested, the Mikoyan corporation will start developing new, fifth generation fighters, Russia 's Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has announced. So far, fifth-generation F-22 and F-35 aircraft are only deployed by the US Air Force.
The single seat MiG-35 is reportedly not as stealthy as its foreign counterpart and is unlikely to see much service beyond Russia . But the planes are relatively low-cost and reportedly retain the extreme maneuverability of the MiG-29, which was regarded as one of the best in the world.
MiG-35 is a twin-engine aircraft that comes in single-seat and two-seat variants.
It can attain a speed of 1 ,491 mph at altitude, 901 mph at low level.
With fifth-generation information-sighting systems, the aircraft has a compatibility with Russian and weapons applications and an integrated variety of defensive systems, which reportedly increase combat survivability.
The MiG-35 is not described as stealthy but does have an AESA radar which makes it more difficult for enemy pilots to detect the plane's initial radar signal and gives the craft greater resistance to electronic jamming.
- Pakistan Navy ships MOAWIN, ASLAT visit Port Victoria11:25 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Over 5,000 prisoners suffering from HIV/AIDS, fatal diseases in ...10:27 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019