Asia Bibi 'finally freed' after Pakistan’s top court upholds her acquittal
A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Asif Saeed Khosa and comprising Justice Qazi Faez Isa and Justice Mazhar Alam Miankhel tossed out the petition against the top court's decision last October to free Asia Bibi from death row.
The petitioner, Qari Muhammad Saalam had argued that Bibi confessed to her crimes during investigation, and that a delay in lodging the First Information Request does not imply that the defendant is not guilty of the crime.
The petitioner, who is a prayer leader of a mosque in a village in Nankana Sahib tehsil, had also sought to put her name on the Exit Control List till a final decision on the review petition was made.
At the outset of Tuesday's hearing, Qari's lawyer Ghulam Mustafa presented his arguments before the bench, demanding that a larger bench comprised of Islamic scholars be constituted to hear the petition.
"How is this a matter of religion?" asked the CJP. "Has the verdict not been given on merit?"
"The verdict was given on the basis of testimony; does Islam say that one should be punished even if they are found not guilty?
"Prove to us what [you believe] is wrong with the verdict," said CJP Khosa.
When the lawyer pointed to the verdict mentioning "burden of proof" being on the petitioner, the judge asked: "Do you disagree with this rule?"
"The verdict did not take into account some views [of the witnesses' testimonies]," argued the lawyer. "If a testimony isn't further examined [by the lawyers], it is understood to be true."
"You should talk on the merits [of the verdict]," the top judge remarked.
Asia Bibi's lawyer returns to represent her 'one ... 01:20 AM | 28 Jan, 2019
THE HAGUE - The lawyer of Asia Bibi, who was acquitted of blasphemy, Saturday jetted out of the Netherlands to ...
Bibi has consistently denied the charges.
It is speculated that Asia Bibi will join her two daughters, who have already gone to Canada, if this petition is dismissed today.
Canada engaging with Pakistan for Asia Bibi's ... 09:35 AM | 13 Nov, 2018
OTTAWA - Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau said on Monday that his government was in consultation with Pakistan ...
Bibi's acquittal ignited days of violent demonstrations last year, with enraged protesters calling for her beheading.
The government has since launched a crackdown on the Tehreek-e-Labaik Pakistan (TLP) party, the radical religio-political group driving the protests. Its chief, Khadim Hussain Rizvi, has been under detention for weeks.
On November 2, the government had agreed in a deal with the protesters to follow due process to impose a travel ban on Bibi, and not to challenge the review appeal in the Supreme Court.
A day before Tuesday's hearing, the capital administration made stringent security arrangements, including the deployment of paramilitary troops in Islamabad's sensitive areas.
- BHC orders quashing of FIRs registered against PTI Senator Azam Swati12:10 PM | 9 Dec, 2022
- PM Shehbaz stresses need to eradicate corruption from Pakistan11:40 AM | 9 Dec, 2022
- PAKvENG – England win the toss and elect to bat first against ...11:04 AM | 9 Dec, 2022
- vivo V23 remained top searched smartphone in Pakistan for 202210:36 AM | 9 Dec, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...10:26 AM | 9 Dec, 2022
- Ali Zafar suggests practices to subside anxiety11:47 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- 'Parizaad' famed Ilma Jaffri dazzles fans with gorgeous bridal shoot11:35 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Tauseeq Haider to mark international debut with Turkish drama10:53 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list? ...10:48 AM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Top 10 most searched people on Google in Pakistan in 202206:07 PM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Pakistan's first female Supreme Court judge earns place in BBC '100 ...01:24 PM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022