6 killed, 3 injured in terrorist attack on Pakistan Stock Exchange
KARACHI - Four terrorists attacked the Pakistan Stock Exchange building in the port on Monday but security forces soon killed them all, police said.
Two other people were also killed and three injured, the Sindh Rangers told the media after the operation clean up.
This is the visuals from #Pakistan's Karanchi Stock Exchange where injured are being taken to hospital. #Pakistan #KarachiStockExchangeAttack#KaranchiAttack#MondayMorning #ShameOnFAST #NoSpace4TraitorsInPakistan pic.twitter.com/kpmpNcDJ8e— Khaista Khan (@Khaista90) June 29, 2020
The gunmen attacked the building at around 9am, which is in a high-security zone that also houses the head offices of many private banks, with grenades and guns, Karachi police Chief Ghulam Nabi Memon told local media.
Four #Militants attack outside the Pakistan Stock Exchange with #grenades and injured three. They stormed the building and opened indiscriminate firing.#Pakistan #StockExchangeAttack#KaranchiAttack#MondayMorning #ShameOnFAST #NoSpace4TraitorsInPakistan pic.twitter.com/CtmbN2oQSh— Khaista Khan (@Khaista90) June 29, 2020
"All the attackers have been killed, they had come in a silver Corolla car, bearing local registration number" Memon added.
کراچی ، پاکستان سٹاک ایکسچینج پر حملے اور حملہ آورو کے اندر داخل ہونیکی ویڈیو سامنے آگئی۔— وقار احمد 🇵🇰🇦🇪 (@iamvixky) June 29, 2020
ابھی تک پاک فوج کے جواب وار میں 4 دہشتگرد مارے گئے ہیں۔#NoSpace4TraitorsInPakistan #karachi #stockexchange pic.twitter.com/zzG0X0xmrg
According to video footages, the criminals initially threw a grenade then opened fire on a security post outside the building. The four were killed when security forces posted there responded.
Pakistan has long been plagued by Islamist militant violence but attacks have become less frequent in recent years.
A Twitter account allegedly belonging to the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) has claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack.
However, trading in Pakistan Stock Exchange didn't stop. A.A.H Soomro, managing director at Khadim Ali Shah Bukhari Securities said that the index recovered from losses and did not surrender.
Pakistan Stock Exchange rejects terrorism: Index recovers losses & does not surrender, inshaAllah.— A A H Soomro (@AAHSoomro) June 29, 2020
Pakistan fights back. Protect investors, protect Pakistan. @AajKamranKhan #psx #pakistan pic.twitter.com/WK2aq7drD6
PSX Managing Director, Farrukh Khan, lauded the security forces for their timely response. He said this while talking to a Geo News, he said the number of people in the compound was lower than normal (usually close to 6,000) since many employees were working from home due to Covid-19.
Khan added that the terrorists were intercepted outside the entrance and only one of them had entered the compound, and that also only a few steps.
None of them entered the trading hall or the building and added that trading had not stopped and was still continuing, he maintained.
- All banks to operate from 09:00am to 5:30pm11:51 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- PTI minister backs Khawaja Asif on Hindu temple in Islamabad11:07 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- Global coronavirus cases near 13 million with 569,000 deaths so far10:36 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- Four Pakistani soldiers martyred, 4 terrorists killed in North ...10:02 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan nears 251,000 cases of coronavirus – 5,257 confirmed dead09:20 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- Yashma Gill contracts coronavirus01:07 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- Amitabh Bachchan in hospital after testing positive for COVID-1911:36 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Kanye West is reportedly ‘struggling’ with bipolar disorder04:44 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020