Lebanon’s PM Hariri steps down amid massive protests
BEIRUT - Lebanon’s Prime Minister Saad Hariri resigned Tuesday, accepting one of the major demands of demonstrators, who have paralysed the country for 13 days.
Hariri made this announcement in a televised address, stating that he had reached a dead end. He said, “We have reached a deadlock and we need a shock in order to confront the crisis”.
The massive anti-government protests were erupted demanding the departure of the ruling elite of the country amid growing anger over corruption, poor financial management.
“I'm heading to the presidential palace to tender the resignation of the government. This is in response to the will and demand of the thousands of Lebanese demanding change," he added.
Despite requests from country’s top politicians, the protesters on Tuesday were reluctant to clear the main roads and highways.
Earlier in the day, people believed to be supporters of Hezbollah and its ally Amal ransacked protesters’ main camp set up in Beirut. The fight between them went severe, forcing the police to intervene.
The two-week long demonstration has paralysed the entire country as banks, schools and some businesses remained close.
According to international media, protesters have again gathered at the main camp after the clash to get accepted their other demand regarding the removal of all Lebanon's political elite, icluding Hezbollah and its allies. They could be heard chanting slogans, "All means all".
- Coronavirus — Pakistan to open four western borders from Sunday10:47 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- COAS Bajwa expresses grief over loss of lives in Sheikhupura train ...09:04 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- PM Imran says 'excellent' CPEC project to be completed at any cost08:21 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Private college teacher arrested for allegedly raping, filming ...08:13 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Samina Peerzada pays her respects to the late Saroj Khan03:22 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Bollywood choreographer Saroj Khan passes away at 7110:50 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Kashmiri lives also matter, says Mehwish Hayat10:15 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020