World's loneliest elephant reaches Cambodia
ISLAMABAD – Kaavan, dubbed as the word's loneliest elephant arrived in Cambodia by a cargo plane on Monday to start a new life at a local sanctuary where there are three more female elephants present, after years of campaigning for his transfer by American singer Cher.
Cher was on the tarmac at the airport of Cambodia’s second-biggest city Siem Reap to greet Kaavan and was photographed in sunglasses, black face mask and white jacket meeting the vets who accompanied the elephant, who made the long journey in a custom-made crate.
‘Loneliest elephant' Kaavan leaves Pakistan for ... 05:42 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
ISLAMABAD – After spending 35 years in a Pakistani zoo, the 'world’s loneliest elephant' is flying off to ...
Animal rescue organisation Four Paws said Kaavan had another 90-minute drive ahead and would likely arrive at the sanctuary after nightfall, so he would be released in daylight on Tuesday.
Update from our founder, Lek Chailert: Darrick on the truck with Kaavan and bring the boy home at Cambodia Wildlife Sanctuary. It will take minimum two hours from airport to our Sanctuary. We can’t wait to see Kaavan to meet with the three ladies at CWS. pic.twitter.com/UD2QTd7jmi— Elephant Nature Park (@ElephantNatureP) November 30, 2020
“Kaavan was eating, was not stressed, he was even a little bit sleeping, standing leaning at the crate wall. He behaves like a Frequent Flyer,” said Amir Khalil, a Four Paws vet.
Cher had written songs pressing for Kaavan’s release from grim, isolated conditions at Islamabad Zoo and she had spent the last few days with him in Pakistan.
The multi-award-winning singer has been with a film crew documenting Kaavan’s story and said she was proud to be part of an effort to free an elephant she said had been shackled to a shed for 17 years.
'Goddess of Pop' in Pakistan to see off ... 11:51 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
ISLAMABAD – American singer and actress Cher, who is dubbed as ‘Goddess of Pop’, arrived in Pakistan ...
Dozens of wildlife workers and experts led by Four Paws used a winch and rope to pull the sedated elephant into the crate before he was loaded onto the Russian-built cargo plane.
Kaavan’s handlers took more than 200 kg (441 lbs) of food including bananas and melons to keep him busy on his journey.
- FIA detains school teacher for sharing child pornography online03:14 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Islamabad court indicts Shahnawaz Amir, mother in Sarah Inam murder ...02:45 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- 'The Great Gama': Nasir Adeeb shares details of his next film on ...02:21 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Hungary announces Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship for Pakistani ...01:49 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Asad Umar summoned to appear before LHC for anti-judiciary speech01:10 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Aiman Khan leaves fans swooning over her sun-kissed pictures12:46 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Shoaib Malik takes son Izhaan on ride in his sports car (VIDEO)11:36 AM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan reveals why he was arrested in India09:41 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022