Five Pakistani documentaries make it to Film SouthAsia 2017
The Festival opens on November 2 with the theme ‘Documentary Bears Witness’.
The non-fiction films participated in the festival from Pakistan are:
‘Among the Believers’ by Hemal Trivedi and Mohammed Ali Naqvi
Made by Oscar and Emmy-winning editor Trivedi and Emmy-winning filmmaker Naqvi. The film is about cleric Abdul Aziz Ghazi, a suspected Daesh supporter and Taliban ally, who wants to impose a strict version of Shariah law in the state.
‘Perween Rahman: The Rebel Optimist’ by Mahera Omar
A documentary about social worker Perween Rahman, whose notable for her work on sanitation in the Karachi, but was shot dead by armed assailants on her way home in March 2013.
‘A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness’ by Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy
Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy’s Oscar and Emmy winning documentary follows a rare survivor of honour killing in Pakistan.
‘K2 and the Invisible Footmen’ by Iara Lee
The film follows the lives of Pakistani porters and Nepali Sherpas as they risk their lives to earn a living in the treacherous Karakoram range. The film also follows the first official all-Pakistani climbing team, who successfully summited in 2014 in celebration of K2’s 60th anniversary.
‘Lyari Notes’ by Maheen Zia and Miriam Chandy Menacherry
A story of musician Hamza Jafri’s who teaches a group of girls to express themselves through music in Karachi. Captured over a period of three years, the documentary follows four young girls from Lyari who are attending music school.
- PM Imran Khan to address nation today03:06 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- FM Qureshi arrives in Abu Dhabi, expected to meet his UAE counterpart02:59 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- AirBlue surprises passengers with huge cut in domestic flight fares02:32 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- ‘Marry, divorce, remarry’ – Man weds same woman four times for ...02:20 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman welcomes baby boy01:46 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021